Thursday, February 21, 2013

Well....what had happened was.......


There is an article on Yahoo today about why we are addicted to junk food. It is a VERY broad and short piece but really doesn’t cover much of the stuff I already know. I mean, I have been preaching this crap for years. Phillip Morris used to own craft foods. Need I say more? Food companies spend more money on trying to make their foods addictive then they spend on advertising. So let’s get real here……..if you were a CEO of a company you want more people to eat your stuff and continue to buy it. Not rocket science here. And they all know that the junk causes heart disease, obesity, cancers, etc. I would like to say that if I was in that position I would do things differently, but…………probably not. Why……..to pay the mortgage. Yeah I went there. And now I will step off my soap box. You can read the Yahoo article here. I actually did a paper on this last year when I was working on my pre-reqs for the nutrition program. My professor said that was the only A he has given all year and I should be an investigative reporter.  That would be great but those of you that know me would agree that I would make some scary enemies doing that and would probably end up with a price on my head. Hahaha. No really. I don’t back down from that sort of crap and sticking it to “the man” would be just too much fun. And again…..to pay the mortgage. Well no, I just like pissing people off. Perhaps I should have gone to law school?

 
Now I can speak from experience of the addiction to junk food. Not so much the sweet stuff, but give me a bag of Cheetos and it’s all over.  But an hour later…..I feel like total shit and the blood sugar is high as a kite. The next morning……still feel like shit and my blood sugar is horrible. But I still eat the stuff. The same goes for popcorn and bacon. Mmmmmm bacon.

So for the past 2 weeks I have been eating like crap. To call me a binge eater would just about nail it. I do ok for breakfast and sometimes lunch. But when dinner rolls around…….all bets are off. Just a few things that I have stuffed down my pie hole:

KFC  about 6 pieces of chicken, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, etc.

2 large pizzas from camellis with gorgonzola and prosciutto

2 order of garlic cheese bread from camellis

Taco bell-mexican pizza and 3 tacos

Papa johns- ¼ order of cheese sticks and 3 slices bbq pizza

McDonalds #12

2 trips to Zestos for hotdog with all the junk and tots

½ bag of each- cheetos, cheese puffs, Doritos, and pork skins

4 trips to subway for foot long crab salad with 2 bags o chips

 

Yes there is a “this is what falling off the wagon looks like” picture somewhere. And no, I didn’t eat the whole pizzas. I throw the rest out. Total waste of money. To say that I didn’t follow my plant strong vegan eating is putting it lightly. So this morning my blood sugar was horrid from the papa johns last night. By the time I got to work and was thinking about breakfast (I did ride my bike today. Holla!!) my body has just refused to eat any more junk. The thought of junk food made my stomach turn. Whole Foods never sounded so damn good than it does right now. I settled for some scrambled eggs with a crap ton of veggies in there with a slice of wheat bread. I am feelin a bit better. But that might be the caffeine. Ha!!  So back on track today. I will go to Whole Foods for dinner tonight. The vegan chili they have at the bar is freakin awesome!!

 
So here is another problem that I run into often……I tend to waste food. I buy a crap ton of fruits and veggies and then I don’t eat them. They end up going bad. I have the best intentions of eating them but end up going for the junk. I get the fresh stuff from the farmers market and it is damn cheap too. I save a good bit of money. But then it goes to waste anyways. Perhaps it might be a good idea to just buy enough for 2 days at a time. And that would mean shopping at Whole Foods a lot. Don’t hate. I live right next door to one. It might cost a bit more but probably no more than the food I have been wasting. I can still get the non perishables from the market for dirt cheap. I am tired of my frig being stuffed to the max though. No I don’t mind walking to get groceries every 2 days, it burns calories, and keeps my kitchen in better shape too. I do go right past Trader Joes on my way home so that is an option as well. I just hate having to find space on my bike for it. I will let yous guys know how it goes.

I was pondering starting to run. Well lets be honest, it will be more like a jog, ok really just a foot to foot bounce to minimize the horror of all of my "fluff"  (lets get real......the extra 70 pounds of the above menu) being pulled down by gravity. I am on the hunt for some serious compression pants to prevent that horror of all horrors. If you know of any that are awesome please let me know.
 

Cheers & beers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment